Sunday 22 November 2015

Getting slightly cooler

Its Saturday night, ate chicken & chips, couple of beers and settled down to watch an Ocean trilogy. 
You know the movies, Oceans Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen.   George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts etc.   Good stories but you really have to stay tuned to keep up with the plots which seem to run concurrently with at least 3 or 4 other sub plots.  So tonight the 3 movies run back to back. Its an American TV channel from Boston and starting at 7pm I check the running time cos we have church in the morning, the series ends at 5.30am!    So Im thinking we have hit gold here, some kind of editors cut special feature length super dooper movie.
Ten minutes in it all becomes clear.  For every 4.5 minutes of movie they run 5 minutes of adverts, the same adverts every time.  I know because I timed it!
Its more like "The advert show" with a bit of movie chucked in here and there.
I will never criticise UK television again.

Now for something completely different...............

Its getting rather cold over here like minus 9c last night.   We have a fresh water feed via a 3/4 inch plastic pipe of 20 feet running from an underground hydrant which is heated electrically.
Yesterday I had to buy and attach a 20 foot heating element to the pipe with plastic ties, then wrap the pipe in glass fibre insulating tape, tricky!  Then I encased the whole length in plastic foam insulating casing secured with insulating tape.
Total cost=$120.

As if thats not enough to worry about, it was pointed out to me that the engine in my truck, being a 7.3 litre V8 has an awful lot of coolant fluid which might freeze any time soon. Lucky for me the clever people at Ford have already thought this might be a problem for me and fitted a heating element in the sump of the engine so all I have to do to ensure I sleep at night is plug the truck into the mains at night to keep it toasty.
Just have to remember to unplug the cable before I take off in the morning.

Apparently we have a full moon this Wednesday.  The Okanagan valley being an important wine growing region is known particularly for their Ice wine.  New to me but Ice wine is made from grapes which have to be picked under a full moon when the temperature is below minus 8c. This Wednesday the conditions are predicted perfect so locally it becomes something of a traditiopn to turn out to pick the grapes at 3am. Guess who Lyn signed up for 4 hours grape picking?   If I had a bucket list Im fairly certain I wouldn't find early turn frozen bits grape picking there.  Still, I will get $100 for the effort, which offsets the cost of insulating my cold water supply.
 Is that Karma or swings & roundabouts?

Its now 01.30, I really have lost the plot of 13 but I do know where to get the best lobster, my winter tyres, the best moisturiser and the best KFC deal amongst many other deals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home